One of the early signs of Indian habitation is denoted by the findings of Indian mounds. These can be found throughout the Gulf coast region of southern Mississippi, but many have been destroyed. Presence of these in the Pass Christian area were primarily in the form of Shell mounds. One large mound existed on the shore near to Market Street as shown on an English Map of 1768. Another existed at Bayou Portage near Industrial Park water way which was a natural bayou or stream. Yet, another was known as Shelly Plantation on the shore north of the Bay of St. Louis near DeLisle.
As described in 1886, one of the favorite sailing excursion points was to a great shell mound on the banks of the Wolf River where diggers sometimes excavated "prehistoric" skeletons.
From other documents read, shells were used as covering for Front Street, making Pass Christian the first Gulf coast community to have shell roads.
Some old timers can recall Indians who would paddle across from Shieldsborough to market their goods atop a high bluff that once existed on the shores of Henderson Point. Apparently, most of the Indian tribes settled north of Bayou Portage or in Hancock County areas.
At Bottom Left, reads large Bluff at the Point. Above it, reads "old habitation." Along the shore is shown a series of markings that read "Ruins". At Bottom Right, a crescent mound can be seen with wording that reads "high grey bank of oysters." That mound was located near the foot of Davis Avenue.
Two Indians who have received local recognition by name are Tuskina for having a Cabin that was reported in various Deed Transfers, and Sam Moniac, for his burial at the Pass with a medal given him by Gen. George Washington.
The above map of 1809, shows La Camina de las Choctas, "Choctaw Road" crossing the Pass Christian peninsula --- ranging from the bottom of the square --- tracing north and east.
At the point that the road meets the Beach area was the approximate site of the shell mound shown in the first map.